Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Simplify (Leaving for Madrid, Spain today)

I mentioned in my first blog entry, Viva el Mexico, the one where I talked about moving to Hawaii for a year, and then to Mexico, which gradually evolved into a slightly less drastic three month trek through Europe, about simplifying my life.  I feel like I’ve been working towards the goal of simplification for the past year by eliminating debt, getting rid of a lot of junk and stuff I really don’t need, and quitting my job.  Packing everything I’ll need for a three month trip in an only somewhat oversized backpack really puts my resolve to the test.  Nevertheless, I have accomplished this; at least the packing part.  Actually surviving and thriving might be a different story.  Those of you who know me know that I like my clothes, and shoes, and belts.  Well as you can see from my pictures and my packing list I’m not taking a lot of these things.  My wardrobe consists of roughly 5 sets of clothes, accompanied by the most basic grooming items, and not too much else.  Although a bit anxious about my downsizing, I’m excited to prove to myself that I really don’t need very much “Stuff” to get me by.  

Check out my before and after packing pictures below, and the link to my packing list:

Three months of "survival" items for Europe...
all in two bags!

2 comments:

  1. Tell me you're bringing a decent pair of sneakers and not just those Toms. LOL. :-) That is crazy how little it all boils down to. But the experience will be so awesome even if you don't have all the "comforts" of home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tennis shoes, Toms, and flip flops. :)

    ReplyDelete